Monday, July 21, 2014

Week # 20 - Ten of Muses - Core Values & Art

The Ten of Muses is quizzing me tonight. On one had I feel like it's shinning a light on me, a bit of an interrogation if yo will.

What evidence is there in your creative work of your core values?  This is a good question because I am a particularly opinionated person. I have an opinion on most everything you can ask me. Go ahead and try...

Q. Hot or Cold.   A. Cold of course!

Q. Baseball of footfall?    A. Absolutely Baseball!

Q. Democrat or Republican?     A.  Democrat.

Q. Coffee or Tea?     A. Coffee

Q. Coke or Pepsi?     A. Definitely Coke.

Okay, you see what I mean?   So then comes the issue of if my values can be discerned by my work.   I know that in terms of my political views more times then not they tend to be subtle at best.  In fact I go through periods when I think I want to say something politically in poetry but then I tend to back away from it feeling the need not to write from a preachy point of view. I won't say that I never allow politics to reflect in my work but for the most part this is not how I back into poems. The same is true with my spirituality.

I don't really know if it is good or bad that  there is not more evidence of my core values in my creativity. On one hand I thing artists should try to write at times with other personas and other views.

It's funny but I think I've hit upon something I don't have a firm opinion on. Should my work reflect deeply held core values? Can I create/write from a position of integrity if I don't incorporate my personal belief system in my writing?  Right now I'm seeing two sides to this question. This is something I need to sleep on.

No comments:

Post a Comment