Monday, June 23, 2014

Week #16 - William Carlos Williams

This week I've come off a weekend with time and focus to a much lesser degree on writing then usual. My wife and I celebrating our 40th Anniversary we had two very late nights out at concerts in a row. Besides the minimal attention paid to writing and writing related things like submissions, etc. I've come away with a low level of energy and a slightly defeated view of my writing weekend.  I know that's not a fair assessment because we have to at times spent time with family and we have to at times just step back and not freak out about doing so.

Perhaps drawing William Carlos Williams is exactly what I need to pick myself up and move forward. Here is a man who worked during the day as a doctor and in the evenings took to the pen.  Williams is definitely an excellent example for me and so many other writers that must maintain regular jobs while being dedicate to their writing as well.

Exploring what Williams might be saying to me...

  •  Be an observer. Much like Sylvia Plath, Williams seems to have made sort of a cottage industry of observing the everyday of life and pulling it into his poetry. The Red Wheelbarrow, or This Just To Say are two very excellent examples of his ability to draw from his surroundings in the simplest ways.
  • Right Now Write. All the necessary resources are there, things we see in the world around us, the pen and the paper, and the time.  Take the time and use it well. We have no one but ourselves to blame when we look back and say, "wow, that was a wasted afternoon, or evening, or weekend." We have the keys to our ignition, we can set ourselves in motion or we can piddle time away. No one else can be the responsible person if we aren't taking the responsibility our self. 
  • Am I even near my full potential? Am I settling for two little. 
These are things I need to be thinking about this week as I look to find more balance and commit to staying focused on projects. The good doctor will be my guide this week,

No comments:

Post a Comment