Sunday, June 1, 2014

Week #13 - The Seven of Quills

The Seven of Quills card comes to me at an interesting time.  She speaks to me about the element of competition inherent in the arts.

While I don't really think that much about competition in terms of my routine submission to various journals I can see that there is in fact a limited amount of space available in each publication and that in a way I am vying for a coveted spot each time I submit.

I usually would associate the competitive level more specifically with actual competitions for poems or collections of poetry. I have not historically been heavily invested in such contests but it's interesting that I should draw this card now as I will have over a 30 day period entered three contests. I rarely enter more than one or two in a whole year.

Things to think about:


  • Each time I enter a contest or submit material - be mindful that there are others working  just as hard to produce work that  they wish to be seen by others.  Be appreciative for each success but not boastful. Every artist has failures as well as successes, it is all a part of the process. Recognize that winning or losing, work was required to get to this point.
  • With each success you have, remember  friends, family, mentors who have helped you along the way. Nobody creates art in a vacuum. It may seem like it at times, but at some point we have to come up for air and it is encouragement, belief, and trust that  provide the oxygen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment