Monday, May 12, 2014

Week #10 - Sylvia, Sylvia, a welcome surprise

Yesterday, I drew the Sylvia Plath card from my Poet Tarot Card Deck. There are two reasons this struck me as interesting. One was that on week eight when I drew Anne Sexton I was thinking about the ratio of Poet Cards I have drawn thus far to the overall size of the deck. At that time I thought it could be a very long time before the Plath card came to me. In addition, this weekend Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday I had some rather interesting dreams. After a bit of a dry stretch where I could not recall dreams or they were very non-descriptive, I had two nights in which I was a very active dreamer. Three in one night and one the next night, but the quality of these dreams in terms of content was remarkable.

Sunday morning I was recording notes about these dreams and I thought how some of this might work into future poems. So drawing Sylvia's card has reinforced the thought of exploring  more deeply the subconscious aspects of creativity.

If there is a way to pull something out of the deep subconscious well within, I would count on Sylvia to show me how.

I write only because
There is a voice within me
That will not be still.
  -  Sylvia Plath

No comments:

Post a Comment